- This event has passed.
AAC & Heritage languages
October 20 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
About the Presenter:
Janet Callahan, parent and Mechanical engineer with nearly 10 years supporting an AAC user. Novice homeschool teacher and Lakota language learner.
A discussion on Indigenous languages, bilingual AAC, and “heritage languages.”
Moderated by: Betsy Caporale
1. Become familiar with heritage and indigenous languages.
2. Learn about the needs of low-resource and under-represented language learners.
3. Identify challenges to using AAC in the language of Lakota.
Time Ordered Agenda:
5 minutes: Introduction of speaker, USSAAC, and topic
10 minutes: Background on heritage and indigenous languages
5 minutes: Discussion of bilingual AAC use
10 minutes: Our AAC experiences
15 minutes: Challenges to our AAC use in Lakota
5 minutes: Current status
5 minutes: Q and A
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) CEUs in speech-language pathology and audiology are awarded by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider, USSAAC. CEU Participant Forms are available onsite at Registration. ASHA CEUs are provided to full registrations. This program is offered for .1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
• Presenter has no financial or non-financial disclosures to report.
• Moderator has no financial or non-financial disclosures to report.
To register for this Webinar please go to the following link:
PLEASE NOTE: Only the first 100 attendees to log into the webinar will be guaranteed spots.
USSAAC EDUCATION COMMITTEE:
Stephanie Meehan, Richard Hurtig, Betsy Caporale,
Mary Anne Lang, Gretchen Cole-Lade
The United States Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (USSAAC) is the national chapter of the International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISAAC). As the United States’ only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the entire AAC community, USSAAC provides an invaluable role, working to ensure that individuals who could benefit from AAC have access to the technology and services they need.
Benefits of membership include, but are not limited to:
- Free access to USSAAC webinar series with ASHA CEUs and USSAAC Twitter chats
- Advocacy for maintaining & expanding access to AAC systems and services
- Discount to 2018 ISAAAC Conference – Australia
- SpeakUp publication/Blog
- Information updates on USSAAC website & social platforms
- Membership in ISAAC with their additional benefits
FOLLOW US: @USSAAC / #USSAAChat
CONTACT US: email@example.com
JOIN US: ussaac.org/membership
There’s a broad range of strategies and devices that individuals may use for communication if their speech isn’t functional.Read More
Become a Member
Join us in our mission to enhance the lives of people with complex communication needs.Read More
Our Latest News
Find out about events and webinars of interest to the AAC community!Read More